Membership Information (see also "Join Us")
WHERE do we sing?
- Rehearsals We rehearse in Pilgrim Hall at Magnolia United Church of Christ, 3555 W McGraw St, Seattle, WA 98199. We are an independent organization and are not affiliated with the church, its programs, or mission.
- Performances We perform at the beautiful Magnolia Lutheran Church, 2414 31st Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199
WHAT are my obligations?
- Show up Please commit to regular attendance. If your schedule means you will miss more than two rehearsals, discuss your situation with the Music Director.
- Be on time Having everyone in place and ready to go at 7:00 pm makes a big difference.
- Pay attention We ask everyone to listen to the music directors and keep quiet when they are speaking or other sections are singing. There is lots of time for conversation and chatting during the break. For every rehearsal and concert, we ask that you turn off your cell phone (or switch to vibrate if you are in an emergency situation)
- Sectional rehearsals Please make the most of our small-group rehearsals, which provide the opportunity to engage more deeply with trouble spots in the music.
- Set up Each section in turn sets up and takes down chairs for rehearsals, and brings snacks. You’ll need to arrive 15 minutes early on those nights.
- Care for your music Mark your music lightly in pencil only. Take care of it and return it promptly when no longer needed. We often borrow music and must return it in excellent condition to the choirs who lend it to us.
- Music folder We have black folders to borrow for your first season. If you continue with us, please purchase your own.
- No scents Please do not use perfume or strongly scented personal products when we meet. Some of our members are allergic and strongly affected by these.
- Practice at home Most of our members find they need to spend some time at home during the week listening to the music and practicing their parts. We provide YouTube links to the songs and other aids to help out. We also post a practice chart on our website so that you will know what we practice at each rehearsal.
- Community outreach Participation in our community outreach concerts is an integral part of membership in the Chorale.
- Service We are a volunteer-run organization, and ask everyone to contribute some service to help make things happen.
- Money Regular members pay $120 dues per semester. This fee covers the following:
- Music instruction
- Accompanist and special performers at concerts
- Rental of rehearsal and performance venues
- Use of sheet music
- Insurance and other administrative costs
- 5 tickets that may be sold for $12 each, thereby recouping some expense
- In their first semester, new members pay only $60, the cost of their 5 tickets, due mid-semester. We want you to feel free to try us out and believe you will want to stay! Fee waivers are available for members with fiscal limitations – just talk with any board member.
WHO SUPPORTS US? Members pay dues and sell a modest number of tickets to each concert. Friends of the Chorale are generous. Merchants in the Magnolia Community support us. We receive funding from 4Culture. We welcome your ideas for additional sources of funding and support. We are a registered 501 c 3 charity.
SOUNDS GREAT. HOW CAN I JOIN? Send an email to our Music Director, jmkent18 at gmail.com. She will advise about when would be the best time to join the Chorale. We welcome you!