One of the requirements for arts organizations seeking support from King County is that they provide a public benefit. We are preparing our grant application this month, and I was delighted to see that the Magnolia Chorale does indeed meet this requirement. The community at large benefits from our activities in the following ways:
- We make beautiful music accessible to the public at an affordable fee.
- Children attend at no charge.
- We provide music gratis at public events, such as caroling in Magnolia Village and our ice cream social.
- We reach out to segments of our community that might not otherwise participate, such as retirement communities.
- New members pay no fee for their first year, to encourage them to try out the experience.
- We offer scholarships to adults who could not otherwise afford to participate in our programs.
- We provide scholarships to high school students that include personal instruction.
- We are collaborating with Roosevelt High School, bringing adults and teens together.
- We will be broadening the reach of artists in our community in our spring 2015 program.
Did you know that by singing together you are enriching not only your fellow choir members, but our community? That’s something to celebrate!
by Ann G. Macfarlane, Director